Monday, October 18, 2010

Oracle, Formerly Batgirl

After years of semi- and micro-reunions with old friends we have all discovered that I have an uncanny memory for old happenings and events, specially for the more pointless and unremarkable ones, and I remember them as if they’ve only happened last month or last week. For instance, I have an extremely lucid memory of me sitting in our Psych 160 lecture class with Dr. David sitting beside Groin and behind Andy, or me talking outside our Psych 150 room to Ana Clarissa Panes, or me taking the blood pressure of Mark Secong. I think that all of the megabytes used up for these extremely useless informaton preclude me from remembering, for instance, the proper classification of cephalosporins or the distribution of the median, ulnar, and radial nerves, despite all the mnemonics in the world. So during dinners and such I would relate a very old, funny happening, being nostalgic and all, and I’d get blank stares or polite chuckles.

In comic lore Barbara Gordon, formerly known as Batgirl, who is now Oracle, is considered to be eidetic, ie, she can remember every single freaking detail she has ever come across with–names, faces, events, scientific factoids, etc. I am not eidetic, which is why I am presently having a romantic/sexual relationship with my PDA, who is named Oracle. (Jan. 23, 2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment