Sunday, November 21, 2010

To All Sci-Fi Geeks, Help!

For years I’ve been bugging my friend Namtab Pots for a good science
fiction read. I liked sci-fi while growing up but upon reaching high
school I guess I just drifted away, since then finding the "hard-core"
science fiction elements such as outer space, time travel, robots,
androids, and by extension, fantasy universes difficult to get into.
Namtab Pots said Dune is a good introduction, and I’ve been familiar
with the title since childhood. I found it highly enjoyable but it also
took me a longer time than usual to finish, usually getting distracted
by other genres and occasionally just reading a couple of pages of it.
In recent years I guess the only sci-fi I’ve enjoyed were those by
Philip K. Dick and Ray Bradbury. Flukeman has been recommending Robert
Heinlein’s The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (I’m not sure if I get the
title right), I’ve only heard good things about it, and since then I’ve
been trying to get a copy. With limited funds, limited time, and more
importantly, exremely limited attention span now that I’ve ran out of
Ritalin, I need all sci-fi geeks to recommend some excellent titles to
read. Help me out!


April 25, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment