Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mulder and Scully Recommend

The Digest of Philippine Genre Stories
Now on its 2nd issue, PGS is the kind of local mag I’ve been waiting for
for a long time. I’ve always thought that we have a shortage of short
story outlets here, Free Press, Graphic, and Story Phils as the only
ones coming to mind.As the first of its kind PGS is certainly a breath
of fresh air for readers and "genre" writers alike. I’ve highly enjoyed
both issues. I did find a couple of stories to be difficult to grasp,
though, which have been written, as my friend Huntress described "as if
the target audience were creative writing and lit majors", but I
understand that it’s always very tricky to balance entertainment value
and quality. The two shouldn’t be mutually exclusive in the first
place, of course, and PGS is rapidly mastering the mix. It’s nice that
there are stories written by those already established within the
literary circle, and those who are just emerging. And I like the pulp
fiction magazine format, like the ones you could fold longitudinally
and place in the back pocket of your jeans. So far a lot of the
"genres" have been covered, and I’m looking forward to stories about
mutants from outer space! Aliens! Superheroes! Quirky detectives! Nazi
cannibals! The campier the better! I think it would help the magazine’s
longevity is if they include stories in Filipino and a lot of stories
that are easy and fun to read. We know what they are–those that are
direct to the point, not too contemplative, not too descriptive, not
too thesaurus-requiring–those that aim to entertain, not impress.
Mulder and Scully’s picks: Issue 1- Insomnia; Issue 2- The Final
Interview. Let’s support this endeavor!

May 13, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment